In 1995, Tom Howie, a career railroader, left to pursue the opportunity to develop software tools for the rail industry. As he developed these tools, he began consulting with other businesses, and quickly became a source of knowledge in the field. RailSoft Systems (RSS) and Rail Training & Consulting (RTC) were incorporated in 1997 as a leading consultation firm for the rail industry, and continue - to this day - to provide training and solutions for operations nationwide.
Who We Are
RTC specializes in increasing safety and productivity of your rail operation through on-site and online training. The RTC team is fluent in practical rail operations and has extensive rail management experience. RTC believes in developing partnerships with our clients in order to develop a safe, efficient and regulation-compliant railroad operation. RTC’s standard Rail Safety and Operating Procedures manual includes the following training:
• General Rail Safety
• On and About Track/Equipment Safety
• Roadway Worker Protection
• Communication and Signals
• Motive Power/Equipment Operation
• LogiTracCBT (computer-based training)
RSS has three software products, specific to FRA compliance and rail operations productivity.
1. InfoRail is a software program that assists railroad operators with day-to-day management of Federal Railroad Administration compliance (CFR 240, 242, 243, 217-218)and human resource objectives. InfoRail assists in tracking employee compliance information including training, efficiency testing, medical and motor vehicle requirements.
2. WebHOS electronically captures, records and reports hours of duty time, reports and records all service, not just covered service and is fully compliant with electronic requirements of 49 CFR Part 228. Our Hours of Service application gives immediate notification of potential violations, as well as produces monthly records of total time on duty, limbo time and consecutive day service for train service employees.
3. TrackAccess is a fully FRA compliant track reservation system from RSS. Control your track without a controller, thanks to an advanced system that helps you enhance safety, increase productivity and reduce expenses. TrackAccess enhances your productivity by eliminating wait time for authorities, bulletins or Form B type protection. The bulletin system eliminates midnight deadlines for DOB requests from MOW employees. Turn non-control track to control track for roadway worker protection, without a dispatcher or controller. It functions with or without a dispatcher-or both! Operating the TrackAccess system reduces training time up to 80% over TWC system training. TrackAccess works with standard technology already in use, such as cell phones, laptops and tablets.
Clients of RTC and/or RSS in Georgia include:
• Adams-Warnock Railway
• Glovis USA (Kia Plant)
• The Great Walton Railroad
• Johnson Locomotive
• Imperial Sugar
• Martin Marietta Materials
• OmniTRAX properties
• Progress Rail Services
• The Sandersville Railroad Company
Tom Howie, General Manager
Sarah Lynne Howie
128 Millport Circle, Suite 200
Greenville, SC 29607